Shaving, waxing, threading, plucking (ow!) are a thing of the past. Laser hair removal has been around for some time but some of us are still learning its beneficial uses, outside of saving money and time. I'm here to attest to the effectiveness of laser hair removal and all the laser-zapping goodness it has to offer. If you're curious about this innovative procedure, you're not alone. In this blog post, we'll address some of the most common questions surrounding laser hair removal to help you make an informed decision about whether it's right for you.
What is laser hair removal?
Laser hair removal is a permanent hair reduction method that targets your hair from the root. While there are plenty of lasers on the market, it's important to know what laser your medspa is using. Here at Nür, we use state-of-the-art technology that can effectively reduce hair for all skin types. We carry the Candela Gentle Max Pro which is both the alexandrite (755 nm) and Nd: YAG (1064 nm) laser. The gold standard of laser hair removal. The laser works by selectively targeting the hair follicle and damaging it to inhibit its ability to grow hair.
Is laser hair removal safe?
It's important to make sure you are being treated by credentialed, licensed and experienced technicians. At Nür we have highly skilled and experienced Registered Nurses (RNs) who follow strict protocols to ensure your safety and comfort. They are trained in any adverse events which is important in being able to identify and treat in any instance you may experience an adverse outcome.
Does it hurt?
Our laser has a built-in cooling mechanism to minimize discomfort. Some patients describe it as a mild rubber band snap or a slight tingling. In some rare instances, we do offer numbing cream which can be applied before we start the treatment for an added benefit of comfort. Pain can also be managed with a nonsteroidal inflammatory medication, i.e. Ibuprofen. In all honesty, if you are someone who currently waxes your body hair, you're more likely to handle any discomfort felt with laser hair removal than waxing your bikini or brazilian.
How many sessions will I need?
The number of sessions varies depending on factors such as your hair type, skin tone, medical conditions, and the treatment area. On average, patients require around 6 to 8 sessions for optimal results.
Does laser hair removal work on all hair and skin types?
Laser hair removal can be effective on a wide range of hair types, but its success can be influenced by factors such as hair color, hair thickness, and skin tone. Here's a breakdown of how laser hair removal works with different hair types:
Effective Hair Types:
1. Dark Hair: Laser hair removal works best on dark, coarse hair. The reason for this is that the laser targets the pigment (melanin) in the hair follicle. The greater the contrast between the hair color and the surrounding skin, the more effective the treatment tends to be.
Moderately Effective Hair Types:
1. Brown Hair: Brown hair also contains a fair amount of melanin, making it moderately responsive to laser treatment. Individuals may require more treatments.
2. Red Hair: Red or light-colored hair contains less melanin, which can make it less responsive to traditional laser treatments. However, newer technology (ie. Candela Gentle Max Pro!!) provides better results for individuals with red hair.
Less Effective Hair Types:
1. Blonde Hair: Blonde, white, or gray hair has very little melanin, which makes it challenging for laser treatments to target effectively.
Is there pre and post-care?
When we schedule your first appointment we will make sure to cover you with all the bases of pre and post-care for laser hair removal. But here's a summary of what to keep in mind when starting your treatments.
- Limit sun exposure, tanning, and self-tanning products
- Refrain from waxing, plucking, or using depilatory creams for a few weeks before and during treatment.
- Shave the treatment area prior to coming in.
- Cleanse the area thoroughly and remove any lotions, creams, or makeup.
- Certain medications must be avoided or discontinued prior to treatment sessions so make sure to discuss them when booking your appointment.
- Protect treated areas from sun exposure using SPF sunscreen and protective clothing.
- Use a cool compress to soothe any discomfort or redness.
- Avoid hot baths, saunas, and intense activities for 24-48 hours.
Great, I'm convinced! How much does it cost?
Check out our pricing at https://www.nuraestheticsclub.com/contents/pricing-laser-hair-removal. We offer packages for individuals who'd like to buy multiple sessions at once. Purchase 5 sessions of any one area and get the 6th session on us! Do your research, but we have some of the best pricing in the area and it's because we believe hair removal should be accessible to all.
If you're tired of the constant hassle of shaving, waxing, or other temporary hair removal methods, laser hair removal could be the transformative solution you've been looking for. My laser journey started years ago and since then I've been able to enjoy smoother skin, reduced hair growth and overall feel more confident in my skin. As you start on your journey toward smoother, hair-free skin, keep in mind that patience and consistency are key.